“Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today.” –Author Herman Wouk
To help people avoid creating complete works of fiction with their tax returns, the Leavenworth Public Library offers the following tax resources:
- The Library has a limited supply of 2019 printed forms available. The amount of printed forms libraries receive each year has declined because the Internal Revenue Service (I.R.S) has been moving to online forms and filing.
- The State of Kansas no longer offers printed forms. All Kansas tax returns must be filed online.
- The Library receives one copy of the tax instruction booklet and has other reference publications on tax preparation to use within the Library. Please check with Reference staff for help finding these publications.
- The best way to get tax forms and your own instruction booklet is to order directly from the I.R.S. They will mail the requested forms to your home at no charge. The Library has a link to the I.R.S. website on its adult patron computers. Please ask Reference staff if you need help with this.
- Forms can be downloaded directly from the I.R.S. web site. The Library charges 10 cents per page for black and white copies.
- The Library, along with other community partners, is a host site for the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. This free tax preparation service is operated by certified volunteers. Check the list of what you need to bring with you. There are also copies of this list posted at the Circulation and Reference Desks.
a. The Library site will be in the East Room every Saturday in February and March, on a FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED basis for the first 25 people each week beginning at 9 a.m.
b. The Library will also offer appointments on Tuesdays and Thursdays in February from 1 to 4 p.m. Call 913-682-5666 ext. 5100 for an appointment.
c. Catholic Charities, 716 N. 5th Street, will assist residents BY APPOINTMENT ONLY on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 9 to 11:30 a.m. and 1 to 3 p.m., February 10 through April 10. For appointments, call 913-651-8060.
d. Leavenworth County Council on Aging offers assistance for those age 60 and older; income guidelines apply. Sessions are BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Call 913-684-0777 for appointments:
- Council on Aging, 1830 Broadway: Feb. 3 through March 31, Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Basehor Community Library: February 25, March 10 and March 24, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Linwood Community Library: February 20 and March 12, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Tonganoxie Public Library: February 19, March 4 and March 18, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Please remember that Library staff is not qualified to answer specific tax questions or recommend forms for specialized circumstances. The I.R.S prefers to read works of non-fiction, fully documented with proper citations.