The Leavenworth Public Library’s Summer Reading Program is a fun way to include reading and related activities in summer family time. Our youth and teen programs offer fun, interactive events designed to help your children maintain and improve their reading skills. Adults are encouraged to share what they are reading, watching and listening to, and to attend programs to experience new ideas.
• Pre-readers: 15 books read to them per goal (children will be issued a punch card to track books)
• Beginning Readers: 15 books or 200 minutes per goal (parents to determine based on child’s ability)
• Readers: 200 minutes per goal
• First goal reached = Free book
• Second goal reached = Small prize
• Third goal and above reached = Tickets for raffle prizes to be awarded at the end of summer
Read one hour:
• Read in front of a librarian (similar to Read Away Fines); librarian will record start and stop times and date on your sheet.
• Books must be appropriate to your reading level. Graphic novels and manga are accepted.
Attend a program
• Must attend and participate a teen library program.
• Record program name and date on your sheet. Librarian in charge of program must initial.
Review a book
• Write your review on the review sheet and turn in to a librarian, who will initial and date your entry.
• Book must be one you check out during the Summer Reading Program, June 2 through Aug. 7.
• Can’t check out a book because of a late fee? Ask about Read Away Your Fines.
• Three-in-a-row Bingo: First bingo earns a free book. Subsequent bingos earn candy or soda.
• Blackout Bingo: Raffle ticket to win gift cards, JamBandz Bluetooth speaker or ukele.
The Adult Summer Library Program includes special programs, interactive activities and prizes June 1 through July 28.